Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Potty Training now Trained :)


Disclaimer: This is a post about "potty things" so if these "things" disturb you, you may want to skip this post :)

Since Logan was not interested at all this summer and with Andrew's birth soon we had decided that two in diapers was our destiny (at least for a while) and that we would tackle the potty training this summer once the newness of Andrew wore off and the chances of reverting lessened. Well Logan had other plans.
Andrew had just turned 2 weeks old and the tiredness of a newborn and a two year had sunk in for Mommy and Daddy. This is when Logan decides to show us he had peepeed in a cup while in the bathtub. (the water had ran out and he was about to get out and the cup was one we used in the rinsing off process) Needless to say we were surprised and our first reaction was to discipline him for such an act, but in quick thought we went with it. We begin talking about peeing in the potty instead and got excited about the thought that he went even though it was in a cup. The months prior when asked if he wanted to go all we would ever hear is "No!" so this was progress as gross as it was. Thoughts of my son peeing in any cup started to haunt me :) Anyways we decided to go with it and see how it went but not push him. The next day when at the studio getting Andrew's pictures he told the photographer "I am a big boy and wear Thomas underwear" I was so surprised. I thought wow I guess we really are going to do this. (I have to say I was not that excited at first remember I just had a baby two weeks before and was adapting to all the tiredness and newness of that) On the way home we stopped by Target and Billy and Logan picked out his Thomas the Train underwear and Logan vowed to keep Thomas dry and clean. :) The next morning (Friday) I started a sticker chart and explained to Logan that he got to pick out a sticker and put it on the chart every time he went in the potty. With Thomas on, the potty training began. It went great. The first day I took him every 30min to 1 hour and he only had one accident. Logan was very excited and was doing great. By day 3 he was staying dry through naps and even pooping in the potty and not even wanting the stickers. By one week he was telling us when he needed to go and even went in a public bathroom. It was comical him standing on my feet and me praying he did not spray all over me while he kept saying "it's coming...oh it's not coming...no it's coming" but he did it and to say I was excited was an understatement. (the joys of motherhood :) It has now been about 2 weeks and Logan is doing great! I am so proud of him. He is such a big boy! So in the end I did not think it was the perfect timing but it all worked out and actually me being home 24/7 and Logan getting some extra attention worked out well.

No comments: